The village plat of fifty-five lots was filed in 1855 on the farms of Frederick Keller and George J. Kelly, in anticipation of the rumored railroad that could pass through from Fremont to the western boundary of Ohio. The village was named for L. Q. Rawson, president of this same railroad, to entice him to bring the route through the village. (How’s that for a marketing plan?) It took 17 years before the first locomotive passed through the village on the newly-constructed Lake Erie & Louisville (later Lake Erie & Western, and later the Nickel Plate), spurring new construction. Fire nearly destroyed the village in 1887, but the railroad brought men and fire apparatus from Findlay to put out the flames.