The village of North Baltimore is found on State Route 18 in southern Wood County.
In 1850, there was nothing but mud, muck, and mire with dense forest throughout this part of Northwest Ohio. The area was aptly known as the Great Black Swamp. Early settlers of the village known as “New Baltimore” included Jacob Dirk, George Franks, Levi Tarr, and the unofficial town father Bassett Peters. Mr. Peters built the first schoolhouse for $550 in 1860 and served as the first teacher, and later the first mayor.
By November 1873, with the tracks laid and in operation for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, the village realized growth and was incorporated in February 1876, under the name New Baltimore. The name was changed in 1880 to North Baltimore as another Ohio town had already incorporated under the former name.
The oil and natural gas boom of 1886 created growth in the glass and brick industries. Today, the village is home to a 500-acre $175M CSX Northwest Ohio Intermodal Shipment Center with future potential for logistics, warehousing, and manufacturing.