In 1834, a group of 12 German immigrant families from Raidelbach, Germany settled in the area arriving on the “Famous Dove” ship. Land was cheap at just two dollars per acre. Another 36 families gathered in 1843 and founded a Lutheran Church. The village of Jenera was eventually platted in 1883 when the Cleveland, Delphos and St. Louis Railroad came through. Named for Dr. Amos B. Jenner who was a local physician and who became first postmaster.